[Users] minutes for 2016-08-22

Barry Wardell barry.wardell at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 12:09:29 CDT 2016

On Monday 22 August 2016, Roland Haas <rhaas at illinois.edu> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> > Tags also cannot be moved; that is the point - they always point to
> > the same version.
> I agree, they *shouldn't* be moved and are not designed to be. You can
> however delete and re-create them, which would be sufficient for our
> purpose since all we want is a single name that can move along with the
> releases.

Tags are really not designed with this in mind, so weird things can and do
happen if you do this sort of thing.

There are robust solutions to this generic issue. They usually revolve
around a particular workflow. The most popular one is git-flow; see e.g.
https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows for a good
overview.

I'm not necessarily advocating that th ET change workflow, but it could be
worth considering.

Barry