[Users] Unable to download Zelmani/CartesianCoordinates

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jan 11 07:06:55 CST 2016

On 2 Jan 2016, at 17:28, Soham Mukherjee <soham.m at iisertvm.ac.in> wrote:

> Since the neutron star collapse simulation uses a parfile distributed with the Einstein Toolkit release, I assume the thorns are available to the public.

Hi,

This is actually not the case.  Many thorns have examples which make use of other thorns which are not part of the toolkit.  This is because the toolkit is an aggregation of existing components, each of which may have an independent existence, rather than a single monolithic project.

Having said that, a number of these uses of non-ET thorns are purely historical, for example BSSN_MoL, and those example parameter files should be updated to work with thorns which are part of the toolkit as much as possible.  This is probably a low priority for the community however (if it is important for someone, please create a ticket; I can't find an existing one).

More important is that the examples that use only ET thorns actually work.  The state as of the last ET workshop in the summer is reported at https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Fixing_examples.  We have 226 example parameter files, of which 36% run successfully, 39% depend on non-ET thorns, and 25% fail for some reason.  We do not test the example parameter files automatically or on each release, which is probably why they have not kept up with developments in the toolkit.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin