[Users] meeting minutes for 2016-11-01

Roland Haas rhaas at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jan 11 10:53:20 CST 2016

Present: Frank, Steve, Roland, Erik, Ian, Philipp, Josua, Yosef, Eloisa,

ExternalLibraries:
* Erik talked to cluster admin who face the same problem. spac: package
developed at LLNL is a type of package manager for HPC
* requires python and probably the usual things (make, sed, etc)
* seems to offer all we need and more
* handles local patches, build-instructions per architecture,
dependencies, uses central mirrors which are populated by tarballs so we
could provide "local" tarballs on the cluster
* could even be used to download Cactus
* needs a bit more work to support crays, pull request is alreday being
worked on
* no direct support to force same compilers for Cactus and
ExternalLibraries. Erik suggests to query spac for the compiler.
* supports a lua-based module system

Moving timeslot:
* Frank will send around a doodle poll for hours that suit people

Performance on Datura:
* problem still exists, needs some testing
* affects the release, suggest to comment out offending line to make it
work for "most" cases

Phone conference system:
* we will try Google hangouts in the future starting from the next call
* Frank will send out an email to list detailing requirements
* Roland to contact SXS personel to learn about limitations of using
Google hangout

No ET meeting on Jan 18th. Next ET call on Jan 25th.