[Users] Kranc and linear systems of equations

Michael Clark michael.clark at gatech.edu
Mon Jul 18 15:06:39 CDT 2016

Hi Ian,

1) This is a linear system. A is a function of the evolved variables u, but
not their time derivatives udot.  I can compute the right-hand side of this
equation--the "b" in A udot = b--using TensorTools and finite differencing
for the spatial derivatives.

However, A does vary with space, as the evolved variables that comprise u
are spatial tensors.

2) I have several systems of this type, ranging from 4x4 to 14x14.

3) Yes, I have a general symbolic form for A in terms of the evolved
variables u.

My concern is more with how to incorporate the use of Mathematica functions
alongside the equation rules in a Kranc-based computation.

Right now, I'm thinking I need to convert the various evolved tensors into
the matrix A by defining a Mathematica function.  However, that still
leaves me with various issues that are unclear to me:

a) If I compute the matrix A by defining a function, where can I use this
function?  It's not clear to me this can be used within an Equation block,
as there is no corresponding C++ statement that the Kranc code generator
could convert it to.

b) If I use such a function outside of an Equation block, it's unclear to
me how I would extract the vector of right-hand sides from the Equation
block in which they're computed.  Making them grid functions seems clumsy,
as these are not the ultimate right-hand sides that will be used with MoL.
I'd like to keep them as shorthands if possible.  It's not clear to me if
such shorthands could be used outside Equation blocks.

So in total, I've been looking at using Mathematica to solve the linear
system.  It's just not clear to me how I might do this in a way that plays
well with Kranc's code generation.

Thanks for your help, Ian.

-Michael