[Users] VisIt HDF5 directory-dependent read-in failures?

Roland Haas rhaas at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jul 26 10:53:42 CDT 2016

Hello Bernard,

hdf5_merge will not work with Carpet's chunked output. It does
everything correctly with the exception of not updating the nioprocs
attribute of "Parameters and Global Attributes"

Bascially what I think happened was that you opened the "merged" file
but VisIt kept looking for the .file_1.h5 etc files which it found as
long as the merged file was in the same directory as the original files.

You now have three options:

1. just open XX.file_0.h5 and VisIt will automatically open file_1.h5
etc.
2. use hdf5_slicer --out3d-cube --match '.*' XX.file_*.h5 XX.h5 to
merge the files
3. fix the merged file using the attached python script.

4. use hdf5_merge from
https://github.com/rhaas80/fileutils/tree/master/hdf5tools using its -u (unchunk) option.