[Users] Resolving two BH

Frank Loeffler knarf at cct.lsu.edu
Tue Jun 7 01:00:59 CDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 06:50:04PM -0400, rahul kashyap wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. My apologies that I'm not completely familiar many of
> the physical and numerical issues while simulating bbh. I have experience
> in AMR astrophysical simulations.

No need to apologize.

> When I do the bbh simulation of ratio around 1, it evolves perfectly fine.
> With higher mass ratio, the smaller BH just becomes bigger and blows up.
> I'm assuming this as a problem of refinement.

It is not. It looks like what I described earlier: your gauge
conditions, in particular the shift condition, isn't well suited for the
small black hole. Grid points are "falling in", making it appear growing
on the computational grid. You may try to play with the values such that
the small black hole evolves fine (you can try that with a simulation of
only a small black hole of that size), but then you might find that the
large black hole "vanishes from the grid" because grid points there are
pushed out too much. If this is the case, you might need
position-dependent values.

Frank