[Users] ET service monitoring

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Oct 25 06:51:58 CDT 2016

On 24 Oct 2016, at 17:05, Frank Loeffler <knarf at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> Present: Frank, Steve, Zach, Roberto, Ian
>
> We had to use a new google hangout link. For some reason the old link didn't work for anyone anymore. Frank is still looking into alternatives, but was too busy in the last few weeks to follow up.
>
> Jenkins was down, but thanks for Ian is now alive again.

Hi,

The VM had kernel-panicked.  I don't know why, but it might have been related to some maintenance of the underlying host platform that happened.  In order that this doesn't go unnoticed again, I have set up UptimeRobot (uptimerobot.com) to probe many of the ET servers to check that they are up, and send email notifications if they are down.  I have added Frank and me as recipients of these emails.  There is a public status page at

	http://etstats.barrywardell.net

(thanks again to Barry for the domain name).

These sorts of services, like the Jenkins service (build-test.barrywardell.net) should really be under the einsteintoolkit.org domain, but this is currently owned by LSU, and LSU prohibits pointing their domains to machines not controlled by them.

Frank and I have discussed this before, but we never came to any real conclusion as to the best solution.  Is there some other entity which could hold the domain, which would not have this restriction?

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin