[Users] Problem with compiling Einstein Toolkit on Cray system

L.S. Oswald lo280 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 6 10:44:35 CDT 2016

Hi Rahul

Thanks very much for your help.

I hadn't tried that. I think I managed to partially solve the MPI issue
by creating a new .cfg file specifying the path, but I have since come
up against various other errors preventing me from compiling. I just
tried including your line in the config-info file but no luck so far.

Consequently I've been trying to install the Toolkit on a different
computer, and this one has gone much farther. It seems to compile
everything and then stop at the end, so that it doesn't create the
executable. This is the error I get:

/usr/lib64/gcc/x86_64-suse-linux/4.8/../../../../x86_64-suse-linux/bin/ld:
/home/ara/loswald/Cactus/configs/sim/lib/libthorn_SystemTopology.a(system_topology.cc.o):
undefined reference to symbol 'opal_hwloc172_hwloc_topology_get_support'
/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64/libopen-pal.so.6: error adding symbols:
DSO missing from command line
/home/ara/loswald/Cactus/lib/make/make.configuration:149: recipe for
target '/home/ara/loswald/Cactus/exe/cactus_sim' failed

I'm unclear on what hwloc actually is: is it a library in itself or
should it be part of open-pal or MPI? Only one configuration file
references hwloc specifically so we created a new configuration file
which included the following lines:

# OpenMPI contains a copy of hwloc, use it
HWLOC_DIR = NO_BUILD
HWLOC_INC_DIRS =
/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include/openmpi/opal/mca/hwloc
/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include/openmpi/o
pal/mca/hwloc/hwloc172
/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include/openmpi/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc172/hwloc/include
/usr/lib64/mpi/
gcc/openmpi/include/openmpi
HWLOC_LIBS =  -llibopen-pal

but this had no effect and I got the same error.

I don't suppose you could enlighten me on how I might go about adding
the DSO to the command line, and indeed, what DSO I should be adding?

Many thanks,

Lucy