[Users] question about ML_BSSN::fixAdvectionTerms

Jonah Miller jonah.maxwell.miller at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 12:52:37 CDT 2016

Hi Kyle,

I am not sure the origin of this parameter, but it is indeed necessary.
With fixAdvectionTerms=0, the evolution of the time derivative of the
lapse A is given by

partial_t A = (partial_t - Lie_beta) K - A

where K is the trace of the extrinsic curvature, beta is the shift, and
Lie is the Lie derivative. It turns out that this prescription is
incompatible with 1+log slicing. Worse, if you try to impose 1+log like
gauge conditions the gauge for a static black hole will in fact be
dynamic. In other words, the coordinates will evolve.

To get 1+log slicing, you need to set fixAdvectionTerms=1, which gives
the prescription

( partial_t  - Lie_beta ) A = (partial_t - Lie_beta) K

which is compatible with 1+log slicing and with a static coordinate
system for a black hole.

As you can see, it's called "fixAdvectionTerms" because it changes the
partial time derivative of A into an advective total derivative.

I'm not sure the origin of the parameter so I don't know the reason for
the current default settings. Somebody else should have some insight there.

Best,
Jonah