[Users] units

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Apr 12 15:12:27 CDT 2017

Francisco

Without hydrodynamics, nothing fundamental sets the mass scale. If you
assume that c = G = 1, then there is a rescaling freedom for M, the black
hole mass. Apart from this, it is up to the designer of the parameter file
what they call M. I think that the ADM mass is a good choice, but others
might use a different convention. In practice, one examines the black hole
masses and the ADM mass in a simulation, which is then returned in terms of
the grid spacing, which is related to the time step size, thus you see what
M is used in this particular case.

For example, in <http://einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bbh/index.html> I
assume that M_ADM = 1, but I don't know whether this is taken from the
initial conditions or whether this is measured after the initial junk
radiation has left.

I hope my answer isn't too trivial.

-erik