[Users] Using "mpirun -np 2" make the program much slower ?

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Sun Apr 23 17:10:40 CDT 2017

Hello ZhiChao,

sorry for the late reply. My best guess is that you are oversubscribing
the compute core of your machine.

By default (ie when no OMP_NUM_THREADS) variable is set, OpenMP will
use all cores of a machine. So if you start the simulation with mpirun
-n2 you will end up with 2 processes (MPI ranks) *each* of which spawns
as many threads as there are cores on your machine. This makes things
very slow due to scheduling overhead etc.

You can check this (on Linux) by having top show you the individual
threads, eg by calling it like so:

top -H

You can also try if:

export OMP_NUM_THREADS=3
mpirun -np 2 ./cactus_sim nsns.par

helps (assuming you have 6 cores in total on your machine)