[Users] Compile question

Guy guy.pitman at bigpond.com
Thu Feb 2 17:34:48 CST 2017

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply- please see below.

> On 3 Feb. 2017, at 3:05 am, Ian Hinder <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de> wrote:
>

> On 2 Feb 2017, at 12:53, Guy <guy.pitman at bigpond.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> Thanks for you reply-one more question:
>>
>> The Kranccode example seems to imply that by adding a pointer at the bottom of the Thornlist which refers to the Kranc thorn Example, that the compilation will include that code in the simulation.
>
> Hi Guy,
>
> Yes, the thornlist is simply the list of thorns that are compiled into the configuration.  By adding a new thorn to the thornlist, it will be included in the final executable built from that thornlist.
>
>> The simfactory thornlist (einsteintoolkit.th) doesn’t have a pointer at the end, so I assume that all of the thorns are combined in the simulation.
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "pointer".  The thornlist is just the list of thorns that are included.

By pointer I meant the path to the KrancExample SimpleWave was added at the end of the Thornlist

echo 'KrancNumericalTools/GenericFD
KrancExamples/SimpleWave' >> kranc.th
I can understand that this compiles this Example , together with some required thorns.

>> Without knowing what all of the individual thorns are doing, is there a risk that
>> the thornlist that I made up for my Kranccode example (which I did by gradually adding groups of thorns based on error messages) could be incompatible?
> I think I'm not following.  What are you trying to achieve?  If you want to follow along the Kranc tutorial, then you only need the thornlist in that tutorial; you shouldn't need any extra thorns.  Since Cactus doesn't compile out-of-the-box on Mac OS, the only change you should need to make is to compile with simfactory instead of with make.  This doesn't mean using the einsteintoolkit.th thornlist; you would still use the thornlist from the tutorial.  For example, you could replace
>
> make kranc-config THORNLIST=kranc.th PROMPT=no
>
> with
>
> sim build kranc --thornlist kranc.th

I  guess I am trying to understand the relationship between Kranc thorns as in the examples and other thorns - now that I know where to look for the latter I will probably be able to work it out - presumably it only makes sense to combine certain combinations of thorns , and the example Kranc thorns require specific thorns to be present, but if you add others in to the Thornlist this may change behaviour. I am trying to understand how one would go about building a new simulation combining existing thorns and new Kranc thorns that would work together.  For example would it make sense to combine more than one Kranc thorn in the thornlist?

>> Is there a document that explains what all the thorns do and how they can be combined?
>
> I think you don't need this, but if you want to know what a given thorn does, your best bet is the documentation, which you can find at
>
> https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/ThornDoc/
>
> --
> Ian Hinder
> http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin