[Users] meeting minutes for 2017-02-13

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Feb 13 15:46:52 CST 2017

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 12:09 PM, Roland Haas <rhaas at illinois.edu> wrote:
> Present: Eloisa, Frank, Gwyneth, Ian, Yosef, Roland, Steve,
> Charalampos, Steve
>
> CarpetRegrid2:
> * regrid_every is the first condition checked, it only ever does
>   anything if the iteraton is a multiple of it
> * movement threshold is an additional condition that prevents grid
>   movement until the grids have moved a minimum distance
> * there is not well known optimal regridding frequency. One
>   consideration would be to regrid when all timelevels are "in sync" ie
>   with the same frequency that the coarsest level steps so that there
>   is no interpolation in time. Another competing consideration is that
>   the black holes should not have moved too far which gives an upper
>   limit. A reason to use regrid_every is also if the positions are not
>   known at every timestep for example if AHFinderDirect is used. With
>   PunctureTracker is used then the information is known at each time.
> * the dominant effect is to regrid frequently enough to track the black
>   holes moving
> * Courant factor is ratio between time step and space step on the
>   coarsest grid, to compute the courant factor on the finest grid
>   involves the time refinement factor

To be clear, the CFL factor on finer grids need to take both the
spatial and temporal refinement factors into account.

> * often one sees that the time refinement factors are set 1,1,2,4,8,...
>   instead of 1,2,4,8 which is the default. This is due to an
>   instability in the shift evolution equations. The group in Jena found
>   this to be important (there is a paper by Bernd Bruegmann et al),
>   there is a paper by Erik Schnetter that gives reason for this. It is
>   likely still required for purely Cartesian grids, for Llama
>   (curvilinear) grids one can get away without doing so

One can set the driver conditions in the evolution and gauge equations
such that this reduction is not necessary. I don't know whether this
has been implemented.

> * metric_timelevels is set to 3 for AHFinderDirect setting the same for
>   lapse an shift does not do harm but there is not directly obvious
>   reason why one would need it

QuasiLocalModes might look at lapse and shift to calculate the full
four-metric and its time derivative.

-erik