[Users] Event horizon finder for 1d data

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Mon Jan 16 08:56:00 CST 2017

On 11 Jan 2017, at 19:08, Maitraya Bhattacharyya <maitraya.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have some 1d black hole data for which I would like to locate the event horizon.
>
> However I am new to the Einstein toolkit and therefore need your help in doing this.
>
> Can you please point out any resources which might help me.

Hi,

Locating the event horizon in a generic 3D numerical spacetime is quite complicated and a lot of work (you need to trace null rays backwards in time, which means reading the metric from 3D Cactus-format data files).  If the data is 1D, then it is much simpler to use a method adapted to 1D, which would mean using something other than the Einstein Toolkit.  For example, it may be possible to do this in Mathematica, Matlab, or similar, or even directly in Python.

Does someone have a suggestion for where Maitraya could look for numerical tools for doing this in 1D?

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin