[Users] Users Digest, Vol 82, Issue 6

Eloisa Bentivegna eloisa.bentivegna at ct.infn.it
Tue Jan 17 01:26:46 CST 2017

On 17/01/17 07:48, Maitraya Bhattacharyya wrote:
> Dear Eloisa and others,
>
> What I have is information about the 4d metric along an axis (say the z
> axis). As far as I recall correctly, this is a Kerr black hole without
> any scalar field but I may be wrong about that.

Hi,

unfortunately, if you do not have spherical symmetry, the geometry along
a single axis is insufficient information to locate an event horizon. If
you knew anything else about the solution (for instance, its mass and
angular-momentum parameters, and that it was exactly vacuum), you could
reconstruct enough of the rest to be able to locate the horizon.

Best,
Eloisa