[Users] Format of CactusPUGHIO/IOHDF5 output files

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Tue Jan 24 05:14:25 CST 2017

On 24 Jan 2017, at 12:02, Maitraya Bhattacharyya <maitraya.linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> Does anyone know how the data is formatted into HDF5 files as outputted by CactusPUGHIO. I specifically want to know how the lapse, shift and spatial metric are stored in a unigrid inside the hdf5 files.
>
> Any example file would be most welcome.
>
> It's just that I am trying to format some data into a format which is recognized by EHFinder.

Hi,

The format of files produced by CactusPUGHIO is in the CactusPUGHIO documentation.  You can find the documentation about each thorn in the ET at

	https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/ThornDoc/

If you scroll down to the CactusPUGHIO arrangement, you will find the thorn IOHDF5 (https://einsteintoolkit.org/documentation/ThornDoc/CactusPUGHIO/IOHDF5/) which is the thorn that does the output of HDF5 files from PUGH.  Section 7 is entitled "Importing External Data Into Cactus With IOHDF5", and the format of the HDF5 file that you need is described there.  There is also a "well-documented example C program" referred to from this documentation (Cactus/arrangements/CactusPUGHIO/IOHDF5/doc/CreateIOHDF5datafile.c) which creates such a file.

The data itself should be a 3d dataset in Cartesian coordinates.  This means that if your metric is expressed in spherical coordinates, you will need to do a basis transformation to get gxx etc from grr etc.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin