[Users] meeting minutes for 2017-07-03

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 3 10:07:11 CDT 2017

Present: Peter, Frank, Christian, Roberto, Ian, Bhavesh, Vassili, Steve

ET release:

* ML issues:
** -O0 and -O1 produce results as in correct values
** printf does make it work as well
** -O2 shows the issue but cannot be debugged due to most variables
being optimized out
** has a bit of a feel of a compiler bug, Roland mentions that since
Intel defaults to -ffast-math then we cannot really expect that results
of -O0 and -O2 are identical and for the GRHydro code this resulted in
NaN vs no NaN due to divisions by zero / infinity.
** want to test which machines are affected (Roland will test
bluewaters, wheeler, bethe, comet, cori, edison, zwicky,
qb, minerva) to check which machines are affected
** have test similar to what is in bbox.cc to check for compiler
versions

GRHydro issues:
* seems gone, need to verify on different machines to be certain

Intel compiler workaround for bbox.cc:
* current patch to reduce optimization setting for Inel 17 to -O1 also
  needs to be applied for the (beta) of Intel 18

Jenkins:
* machine is up and running
* want to check with NCSA security persons to make get their ok
* the flaw that was exploited should be fixed but want to be sure
* web-interface turned off and only accessible for persons with login
  credent

Next meeting:
* Steve will host