[Users] SphericalHarmonicRecon and SphericalHarmonicReconGen

Miguel Zilhão mzilhao at ffn.ub.es
Thu Jul 13 03:48:24 CDT 2017

hi Ian,

> NewsB_scri.L02Mm01.asc: substantial differences
>        significant differences on 1 (out of 2) lines
>        maximum absolute difference in column 1 is 963
>        maximum absolute difference in column 2 is 0.000185770963653907
>        maximum absolute difference in column 3 is 0.000142466608463344
>        maximum relative difference in column 1 is 1
>        maximum relative difference in column 2 is 1
>        maximum relative difference in column 3 is 1
>
> The third, SphericalHarmonicReconGen.SpEC-h5-test, fails like this:
>
> NewsB_scri.L02Mm01.asc: substantial differences
>        significant differences on 1 (out of 2) lines
>        maximum absolute difference in column 1 is 963
>        maximum absolute difference in column 2 is 0.000185770963653907
>        maximum absolute difference in column 3 is 0.000142466608463344
>        maximum relative difference in column 1 is 1
>        maximum relative difference in column 2 is 1
>        maximum relative difference in column 3 is 1
>
> I suspect the second and third failures have the same cause.  Do we have any idea why
> these tests fail?  They don't seem to fail on any other machines
> (http://einsteintoolkit.org/testsuite_results/index.php).

i'm not sure whether it's related, but i've had a similar issue with a testsuite of a
local thorn i have, which was passing just fine with 1 proc but not with 2 procs (and
similar errors). the root of the problem turned out to be that on this particular machine,
for whatever reason, when running the parfile with 2 procs the output was "doubled". as if
each processor was writing the same thing on the same file. the output itself was the
same, but the files that were written were obviously not. so diff was signalling
differences in the files where in fact the numbers themselves were (nearly) the same.
could you be seeing something like this as well?

cheers,
Miguel