[Users] meeting minutes for 2017-05-29

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Mon May 29 10:05:13 CDT 2017

Present: Christian, Steve, Frank, Roland, Eliu, Gela, Roberto, Erik,

Upcoming release:
* no progress on test suites
* leftover tickets
* aim for end of June

KNL status:
* most KNL machines (Cori, Marconi) can be used, if slowly so
* stampede is the only machine that cannot be used
* single nodes can be used on stampede but MPI currently still fails
* will put in language stating that stampede is causing trouble and
  that speed is sub-optimal
* will focus on KNL performance during ET workshop and possible
  followup workshops

Noise in waveforms from McLachlan:
* is not determined by size of Cartesian domain
* substantial increase in resolution in the attachment region to
  multipatch helps
* finest resolution is mostly unchanged
* no change due to dissipation settings
* right now 4th order (since coulpled to hydro) will do 8th order and
  report to mailing list with results

Focus item for workshop:
* porting to KNL (McLachlan, GRHydro)
* KNL benchmark analysis