[Users] Cactus Tutorial

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Sat Nov 4 03:41:18 CDT 2017

On 3 Nov 2017, at 19:28, Steven R. Brandt <sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu> wrote:

> The attached file is the html rendering of a Jupyter notebook version of Cactus tutorials advocated by Ian and Roland. It is my proposal to use this going forward.
>
> To run this tutorial, you can either go to the NDS machine (which I propose should be the default tutorial machine from now on): https://www.einsteintoolkit.nationaldataservice.org/#/
>
> Alternatively, you may run it in docker.
>
>  docker run --name myjupyter -d -p 8888:8888 ndslabs/jupyter-et
>
> If you don't like Jupyter, you can open a console on the NDS machine, or you can get a command line interface by doing this
>
>  docker run -it ndslabs/jupyter-et bash
>
> Which is a machine that already has the requisite cactus packages installed. You can then use the attached html to enter instructions one by one.
>
> Please send comments, flames, etc. Thanks.

Hi Steve,

Very nice!

One comment:

- Users probably would like, for their operating system, a single command that they can copy and paste into their terminal to install the required packages, rather than going through each of the 23 packages one by one.  Also, the table format, while quite attractive, won't scale to adding columns for more operating systems, such as Mac OS.

One question:

- Is this tutorial in a repository somewhere?

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin