[Users] outreach and visibility of the toolkit

helvi witek hwitek at icc.ub.edu
Wed Oct 18 05:38:05 CDT 2017

Dear all,

let me pick up on our discussion on the visibility of the Einstein Toolkit
within the LIGO/VIRGO Scientific collaboration, our scientific community in
general and the public that we had during the workshop last week.

In the end of the week we are opening our traveling exhibition "Unraveling
the dark universe"
<http://serviastro.am.ub.edu/twiki/bin/view/ServiAstro/UniversFosc> and, as
probably many of you these days, we will have a number of outreach talks
about gravitational waves. In this context I was looking for animations
produced with the toolkit, in addition to the BBH material that I already
had from the SXS collaboration, to give more credit to it.

I noticed a few things that we could improve
- update the gallery on the website. At the moment the only animation of an
event is that by Barry for GW150914. It would be nice to have more of a
collection for the other events, and in particular for GW170817. As first
step we could collect links to the youtube channels of different groups.
- that brings me to a second suggestion: should we bundle those animations,
e.g., in a ET youtube channel? At the moment, a quick search leads to
filmed talks and lectures (which is important, too, of course), but try the
same for SXS and you'll get a list of animations by the collaboration. A
first step to give more visibility to the toolkit could be to add the logo
to the credits.

This is essentially to spark some discussion, and if there is interest, we
can follow up on it in one of the next calls.

cheers,
Helvi

Dr. Helvi Witek
Marie-Curie Research Fellow
Dep. Fisica Quantica i Astrofisica & ICCUB
Universitat de Barcelona