[Users] defining a grid function constant in time

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri Oct 27 06:48:54 CDT 2017

Hello Miguel, all,

> with this commit it seems to be working fine, yes!
> unless there is some other way of doing this, it would be great if
> this commit could be merged to master.
I think there is one more roadblock to consider: when you have 3
timelevels then Carpet will cycle the timelevels after each step,
shuffling shift0 into shift0_p and shift0_p into shift0_pp and (at
least making it look like it was) allocating fresh memory for shift0.
If you have enabled poison_new_timelevels (off by default I think) then
you'd see poison in the new timelevel. This will happen whenever you
have 3 timelevels.

The solution would be to have only a single timelevel and do eg what
CartGrid3D does and schedule your setting routine in BASEGRID,
POSTREGRIDINITIAL and POSTREGRID:

schedule CartGrid3D_SetCoordinates as SpatialCoordinates at CCTK_BASEGRID
{
  LANG:C
  WRITES: grid::coordinates(Everywhere)
} "Set up spatial 3D Cartesian coordinates on the GH"

schedule CartGrid3D_SetCoordinates as SpatialCoordinates at CCTK_POSTREGRIDINITIAL
{
  LANG: C
  WRITES: grid::coordinates(Everywhere)
} "Set Coordinates after regridding"

schedule CartGrid3D_SetCoordinates as SpatialCoordinates at CCTK_POSTREGRID
{
  LANG: C
  WRITES: grid::coordinates(Everywhere)
} "Set Coordinates after regridding"

you can also *try* to see if removing the "prolongation_opertaor='none'"
setting in you interface.ccl *and* also making sure to regrid only
during coarse steps (so that interpolation in time is not needed).