[Users] questions about compilation

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Fri Feb 9 15:29:23 CST 2018

> On 9 Feb 2018, at 16:33, 林家暉 <r06222015 at ntu.edu.tw <mailto:r06222015 at ntu.edu.tw>> wrote:
>
> Dear Ian,
> Thanks for your reply.
> Besides VisIt, I also tried SimulationTools as another way to analyze data.
> However I do not have Mathematica installed in my local machine(which is a laptop) , so I tried to use the Mathematica in Edison. But it seems that I do not have permission to load a new tool on the cluster. Is there any method can I use it on a super cluster?

Hi,

I don't know what you mean "permission to load a new tool on the cluster".  You can install SimulationTools into your home directory, as described in the installation instructions.  This should not need any special technical permissions.  If this is what you tried, and it doesn't work, can you give some more details about what you did and what went wrong?

If you mean that you are not *allowed* to install external software in your home directory, then I don't know how you can use SimulationTools on the cluster, as it would need to be installed.  In any case, in order to visualise the data, you will need a graphical display, so presumably you would need to use Mathematica with X forwarding or similar.  Unless you have quite a fast connection to the cluster, this might be too slow to be usable.  There is no problem with using SimulationTools in Mathematica from the command line or in scripts, but I suspect that's not really what you need.

What I usually do is copy the required data from the cluster to my laptop, and visualise it with SimulationTools in Mathematica on my laptop.  If the data is too big to transfer, I use Mathematica's "remote kernel" feature, where the notebook interface runs on my laptop, and the kernel runs on the cluster, where it can directly access the data.  This way, only the visualisation needs to be sent over the network, not the original raw data.  Of course, Mathematica is very expensive, so this might not be an ideal solution for you.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin <http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin>