[Users] best practices for groups

Eric West ewest at d.umn.edu
Mon Feb 12 12:55:15 CST 2018

Hi All,

Do research groups distribute Cactus/EinsteinToolkit files amongst
different users on the same machine? I understand that the Cactus
philosophy is that it is meant to be distributed. But it seems redundant
for every member of a group, using the same machine, to have their own
copies of everything. I am curious how other groups handle this. What
parts of the toolkit are shared amongst multiple users, if any? What
parts are not shared?

For context, our group is very small (currently myself and a couple of
grad students). The disk quota for the group on our HPC machine is
150GB. Right now that is not prohibitively small. I'm more concerned
about sprawling config files, parfiles, etc. Although if there are
things that can be done to reduce the overall disk usage, that would be
an added bonus. So I am wondering what practices other groups employ.

Thanks,
Eric

--
Eric J West