[Users] questions about compilation

林家暉 r06222015 at ntu.edu.tw
Fri Feb 9 00:01:59 CST 2018

Dear Ian and whom it may concern,

Thank you very much and I successfully plot the surface of the 2D topological spheres ,as showed below.
However I found there is always a line in the plot from the right to the left and through the center . What is the possible reason of it ? For instance , resolution or something else.
Best regards,

Chia-Hui Lin

[cid:99ac105d-96fb-4bb0-af9e-92208f219945]

________________________________
寄件者: ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de <ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de>
寄件日期: 2018年2月2日 上午 06:45:01
收件者: 林家暉
副本: rhaas at ncsa.illinois.edu; Einstein Toolkit Users; Eloisa Bentivegna
主旨: Re: [Users] questions about compilation

> On 1 Feb 2018, at 04:47, 林家暉 <r06222015 at ntu.edu.tw> wrote:
>
> Dear Roland and whom it may concern,
> I have done the simulation of the example code of GW150914.
> However when I tried to visualize the result by VisIt ( https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/GW150914_VisIt_Tutorial#Installing_VisIt ), I can not find the .vtk files which represent the shape and properties of relevant 2D topological spheres in the output data. Only .h5 files are in my output file.
> What is the possible reason for it ?

If you look at the parameter file, it has the lines

# out3d_every = rl0_every * 2
out3d_every = 0

You need to swap the comment, so that it reads

out3d_every = rl0_every * 2
# out3d_every = 0

i.e. you need to have a nonzero out3d_every parameter.

The default in the parameter file is NOT to output this 3D data, as it totals 3 TB for the whole simulation, which is more than most people want to generate!  Note that this parameter is used for both the 3D gridfunction output, as well as the horizon surface data (in VTK files).

If you just want the horizon files, then you can change

QuasiLocalMeasures::output_vtk_every       = $out3d_every

QuasiLocalMeasures::output_vtk_every       = $rl0_every * 2

without changing out3d_every.

I'm afraid you will have to rerun the simulation, as the VTK files were not generated when you ran it the first time.

> By the way , I have commended some module load in the edison.ini file, listed below:
> #    module load cray-petsc/3.7.6.0
> #    module load curl/7.28.1
> #    module load hwloc/1.7.2
> #    module load numactl/2.0.10
> I wonder whether this module commended resulted in the disappearance of .vtk files.

No, this should be unrelated.

http://members.aei.mpg.de/ianhin