[Users] Synchronization in the ADMBase schedule.ccl

Cupp, Samuel scupp1 at my.apsu.edu
Fri Feb 16 13:36:08 CST 2018

Hey all,

    I am working on the new synchronization in the presync branch, and there's a scheduling comment I don't understand. On line 234 (master branch) of the ADMBase schedule.ccl, the following comment is given before scheduling a sync for ADM grid functions:

> For Mesh Refinement it is possible (eg Cowling approximation) that ADMBase variables will need synchronization even when not evolved (eg when a new refined grid appears)

According to this, a sync should be triggered in some cases at the mesh refinement stage. Since I don't understand the reasons for this, I can't reproduce this behavior in the new method. Why does the mesh refinement require a sync only sometimes? Is there a specific scheduled subroutine which creates this behavior, or is it inherent in the AMR process itself?

   Samuel Cupp
   Graduate Student
   Department of Physics & Astronomy
   Louisiana State University