[Users] Warning: Synchronising group in local mode

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Feb 21 12:21:33 CST 2018

Vassilios

You cannot synchronize in local mode. Different processes may execute
local-mode functions different number of times, which would lead to a
deadlock. For example, if process 0 holds 1 large component, while process
1 holds 2 smaller components, then process 0 would synchronize once, while
process 1 would synchronize twice. Since synchronization is a global
operation for which all processes need to participate, this would fail.

Also -- what should it mean for a process to synchronize in this case?
Synchronization fills ghost points with valid data from other components.
If a process holds 2 components, and you synchronize after calculating the
first component, then it is not possible to obtain valid data for points
from the second component, since this component has not been calculated yet.

Synchronization in local mode works in certain very restricted cases to
ensure backward compatibility with PUGH. I believe it works if each process
holds exactly 1 component.

-erik