[Users] Using Stampede2 SKX

James Healy jchsma at rit.edu
Fri Jan 26 08:06:35 CST 2018

Hi Erik, Roland, all,

After our discussion on last week's telecon, I followed Roland's
instructions on how to get the branch which has changes to how Carpet
handles prolongation with respect to OpenMP.  I reran my simple scaling
test on Stampede Skylake nodes using this branch of Carpet
(rhaas/openmp-tasks) to test the scalability.

Attached is a plot showing the speeds for a variety of number of nodes
and how the 48 threads are distributed on the nodes between MPI
processes and OpenMP threads.  I did this for three versions of the
ETK.  1. Fresh checkout of ET_2017_06.  2. The ET_2017_06 with Carpet
switched to the rhaas/openmp-tasks (labelled "Test On") 3. Again with
the checkout from #2, but without the parameters to enable the new
prolongation code (labelled "Test Off").  The run speeds used were
grabbed at iteration 256 from Carpet::physical_time_per_hour.  No IO or
regridding.

For 4 and 8 nodes (ie 192 and 384 cores), there wasn't much difference
between the 3 trials.  However, for 16 and 24 nodes (768 and 1152
cores), we see some improvement in run speed (10-15%) for many choices
of distribution of threads, again with a slight preference for 8
ranks/node.

I also ran the previous test (not using the openmp-tasks branch) on
comet, and found similar results as before.

Thanks,
Jim