[Users] memory leak in Carpet?

Miguel Zilhão miguel.zilhao.nogueira at tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Thu Jul 19 11:14:11 CDT 2018

hi Ian,

>> i've noticed that my runs (using latest ET release) with CarpetRegrid2 exhibit a significant
>> increase in memory during runtime. this seems to happen immediately after some non-trivial
>> regridding operation is done. the increase is steady, and at some point i run out of memory and the
>> simulation crashes. this is happening both on my workstation (running Ubuntu 18.04) as well as our
>> local cluster (running Debian 9). i was wondering if someone has seen something like this?
>>
>> i have not seen this happen for simulations without CarpetRegrid2. i show below some relevant
>> portions of the stdout file for a standard inspiral BH run (note the last column--maxrss_mb):
>>

> This could be caused by memory fragmentation due to all the freeing and mallocing that happens
> during regridding when the sizes of the grids change.  Can you try using tcmalloc or jemalloc
> instead of glibc malloc and reporting back?  One workaround could be to run shorter simulations
> (i.e. set a walltime of 12 h instead of 24 h).

thanks for your reply. in one of my cases, for the resolution used and the available memory, i was
out of memory quite quickly -- within 6 hours or so... so unfortunately it becomes a bit impractical
for large simulations...

what would i need to do in order to use tcmalloc or jemalloc?

thanks,
Miguel