[Users] `tl >= 0 and tl < timelevels' failure in recovering with ML_BSSN

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 3 16:13:38 CDT 2018

Hello Jens,

hmm, there is not much to go by from your email but this looks like
something that have seen before. If you can, please attach the
simulations *.out and *.err file to the email. It may be important to
know if checkpoint/recovery happened at a coarse step (ie all timelevel
are aligned) or not.

We used to (and may still have) issues when AHFinderDirect was used
with simulations where ADMBase::metric_timelevels was not set to 3 which
failed after recovery. Your parfile does not have AHFinderDirect in it,
yet it may be caused by the same issue.

So I would try setting

ADMBase::metric_timelevels = 3

in it.

You may also want to check the old release announcements
https://einsteintoolkit.org/about/releases/ET_2016_05_announcement.html from that time that suggested:

Recovering with Carpet: Carpet stores metadata (such as the simulation time) only for Carpet::max_timelevels time levels, although it is possible to allocate more time levels. These additional time levels then cannot be recovered; the symptom is an assertion failure during recovery. The solution is to either increase Carpet::max_timelevels, or to decrease the number of active time levels.

Should the parfile that you attached let me reproduce the error?