[Users] error message MPI

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 4 12:43:43 CDT 2018

Hello Maria,

> OK, keep me updated. Honestly, I am afraid to update to Mojave!
It is the same procedure as every OSX update. Everything breaks :-)

> I do wander why Cactus consistently breaks down after any new updates
> I do on my mac laptop. Is it because of home-brew?
I would point me finger at homebrew, yes. The only real way to
safely deal with OS updates in homebrew seems to wipe all of homebrew
and reinstall it from scratch. Cactus itself likely works fine with it
once it is properly installed.

> Or shall I just
> stick with older versions of the software libraries?
The issue seems to be that some of homebrew relies on OSX system
libraries. Those libraries all got updated when the OS update and now
the programs in homebrew (which were not update) no longer work.

>  It finally
> compiled, after I commented out LORENE, PAPI, and the Meudon thorns,
> and did some hacking in the CarpetLib thorn. Clearly, my new brew
> update made MPU_UB deprecated. I ended up defining MPI-UB everywhere
That could be the case yes. The very newest version of Carpet to be put
into the development branch (master) on Monday seems to remove
references to MPI_UB which may need to be backported into the release
branch if this is indeed creating issues.

> One last thing: I could not find any ubuntu.cfg.
In master it was removed on Monday and I think Steve already responded
in a separate email pointing out that it should no longer be required
and one can use generic.cfg instead. It should still be present in the
release branch ET_2018_09 though. Are you using the release branch or
the master (development) branch?

> Also, I don't see a cents.cfg either.
> Any suggestion about what to use instead?
Steve's email should address both of these.

> I would like to have some flexibility on what version of compilers to
> use.
You would have to create one cfg file per compiler version to use and
either specify it by hand to simfactory when building ie.
simfactory/bin/sim build --optionlist myoptions-gcc7.cfg or make up a
machine.ini file per compiler version and use that (using the --machine
option) or (this may be simplest) add a "optionlist" entry to your
machine's "[<machine>]" section in simfactory/etc/defs.local.ini
specifying the configuration file you would like to use.