[Users] HDF5 data analysis

ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de ian.hinder at aei.mpg.de
Wed Oct 17 04:33:06 CDT 2018

> On 15 Oct 2018, at 11:15, 林家暉 <r06222015 at ntu.edu.tw> wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am trying to analyze 2D output data (.h5) from ET. I want to get a 2D array with uniform grid.However HDF5 with AMR contains many layers and each layer breaks into many components. When I read out the HDF5 data , I do not know where each component should be. Is there some suggested way to map HDF5 data into a 2D array ?

Hi,

What software are you using to analyse the data?  There are frameworks for Mathematica (simulationtools.org) and Python (https://bitbucket.org/DrWhat/pycactuset).  If you want visualisation rather than more in-depth analysis, then you could try VisIt, which has a reader for ET data.

See https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Analysis_and_post-processing for a list of analysis tools that we know about.

If you want to do it manually (and I wouldn't recommend reinventing the wheel), all the information you need to place the individual component in coordinate space is listed in attributes of the datasets.  Look at the "origin" attribute for the coordinates of the origin of the component, and the "delta" attribute for the grid spacing.

https://ianhinder.net