[Users] Error: job id is negative

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 27 11:49:28 CDT 2018

Hello Deborah,

the issue is that the run command did not set a jobid entry in the
properties.ini file.

This needs to be fixed in simfactory in this file: lib/simrestart.py
which needs to be modified such that the userRun command stores a jobid
in the same way that the submit command does in line 765.

This would be a bit of a hack since self.userRun is analogous to
self.userSubmit and self.userSubmit does not store the jobid
(sself.ubmit does, but run cannot store the self.jobid since it exeutes
from *within* the job). To make it worse, self.userRun does not even
know the jobid since the jobid is returned by the submit command, the
submit entry in the machine.ini file, which is normally
qsub/sbatch/whatnot but configured to by something else that just
starts the SubmitScript as a background process and returns the process
ID for machines without schedulers.

So something like:

'jobid': os.getpid()

in line 945 (just after 'pbsSimulationName': pbsSimulationName)
probably does the trick. It's a hack though since it makes assumptions
what the job id will be (namely my process ID) and is dangerous in case
process IDs are re-used (there's only 65k of them so this does happen).