[Users] evolving a BH hole with Kerr-Schild ID in ET

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Thu Apr 25 11:35:53 CDT 2019

Hi Roland,

> Additionally, I find it convenient to smooth all quantities near the
> > singularity, and to choose to advect both lapse and shift. I don't
> > know whether the latter is necessary in theory, but I am always using
> > it.
> Concerning the smoothing it seems that some smoothing was necessary to
> not crash the code (via the Exact epsilon parameter to transform r ->
> r+epsilon). An alternative may have been to use NoExcision to fill the
> interior of the AH with smooth data.

I generally suggest shifting the grid so that the closest gridpoint to the
origin is (dx/2, dy/2, dz/2), where dx,dy,dz are the resolutions on the
finest grid. I've used this trick many times to stabilize evolutions. Also
you may want to try the ShiftedKerrSchild thorn (in the ETK), which enables
a radial offset that shrinks the BH coordinate size but at the same time
kills off enormous constraint violations near r=0. Unlike the existing
KerrSchild thorn(s), this one uses the standard Kerr-Schild metric written
in spherical coordinates and does the basis xform.

-Zach

Zachariah Etienne
Assistant Professor of Mathematics
West Virginia University