[Users] Meudon_Mag_NS gives segmentation fault

Haas, Roland rhaas at illinois.edu
Tue Feb 19 10:36:18 CST 2019

Hello Lorenzo,

sorry for the late response.

> I am having some trouble in using the thorn Meudon_Mag_NS. In order
> to run the parameter file "bbig.par" (in the par directory), I have
> to remove every reference to the thorn ADMConstraints and, moreover,
> the thorn itself is activated as ID_Mag_NS instead of Meudon_Mag_NS.
The file is most likely outdated as the parameter files in the par
directories are (unfortunately) not regularly tested. A better starting
point is likely the bns gallery example (there are no Meudon_Mag_NS
testsuite tests unfortunately) here (though this is for a binary and
not a magnetized case):
https://www.einsteintoolkit.org/gallery/bns/index.html

> However, even after fixing the errors in the parameter file, I'm
> given back a segmentation fault, as you can see in the attached file.
Unfortunately the output does not let me make a guess as to what may
have caused the error since it does not contain a backtrace or other
indication where the code actually failed.

If you were to provide the parfile you used to run as well as a URL for
the LORENE initial data file used then we could try to reproduce the
issue and possibly help you. If you are using the included bbig.par
file then also please let us know that.

I would also try to run the code from within gdb (which means a single
MPI rank run but you are already only using 2 ranks) like so:

gdb --args cactus_sim bbig.par

then you can use gdb's "backtrace" command to find out where the code
failed and its "up" and "down" command to navigate to that function and
finally its "list" and "print" commands to inspect the variables whose
access causes the error.