[Users] Help with hyperslabbing error message

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Sat Jan 26 15:46:10 CST 2019

Anthony

To explain what is going on: This error is reported from the thorn applying
the rotating symmetry boundary conditions. Internally, it uses a
hyperslabbing algorithm to rotate and exchange the boundaries. Its
implementation is restricted to certain special cases; in particular, there
can be at most one grid component per MPI process.

Your grid setup probably includes non-rectangular grids or refined regions.
Maybe you have a refined region around each black hole, which add up to at
least two components. To avoid the error, you need to increase the number
of MPI processes. In your case, you could either use more nodes, or use
more MPI processes per node. Typically, I use one thread per core. On a
system with 32 cores, I would use e.g. 8 MPI processes with 4 threads each.

-erik