[Users] [ET Trac] #2064: Add GiRaFFE to the Einstein Toolkit

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Nov 4 15:56:04 CST 2019

On 4 Nov 2019, at 19:10, Zach Etienne <zachetie at gmail.com<mailto:zachetie at gmail.com>> wrote:

Thanks for this very nice summary, Roland.

Note that all of these rely on the client to do the right thing. With
bitbucket you cannot use the pre-receive hooks that git offers to
reject commits that contain output (see...

Cool. I have heard of folks adding black (https://github.com/psf/black) hooks to git to ensure that Python codes are consistently formatted at every git push.

I want NRPy+ development to be as kind as possible to the developer, while maintaining rigorous standards for documentation, modularity, validation tests, CI, etc. Maybe we can discuss further in a future ETK call or offline.

One approach would be for the CI pipeline to check all the things you want it to check, and flag the problem (e.g. output committed in notebooks when you don't want it to be).  This would be displayed on a web page along with the CI results, but wouldn't "break the build" or be rejected.  So people can commit freely, but the problems are tracked, and can be cleaned up later.  This is similar to how the compiler warnings are handled in Jenkins for the ET.

Research Software Engineer
University of Manchester, UK