[Users] Err logs like "[83bdcfc58a2e:19025] Read -1, expected 4096, errno = 1" when running ET.

Haas, Roland rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 20 09:45:51 CDT 2019

Hello Zhichao,

sorry for the long delay, I got started on other work and forgot about
this email.

You should not need to install Ubuntu from scratch as Cactus should run
in a docker container (Steve Brandt tests this before each release).
You may want to try and set a couple of extra environment variables
before you run the code:

export OMPI_MCA_btl_vader_single_copy_mechanism="none"

which at one point prevented (harmless) warnings for me when running in
a (modern) Ubuntu container (old ones were fine).

Can you tell me what image you are running inside of the container,
please? I would like to try it out and see if this is what is causing
problems for you.

It also turns out I could have already given you a better (though
not really helpful) answer before.

Your errors are:

83bdcfc58a2e:55616] Read -1, expected 31752, errno = 1

meaning a read failed (31752 bytes were supposed to be read but none
were read) and the error number (errno) was 1.

Running this through the strerror function (part of C but also eg in
the python posix.strerror code:

python -c 'import posix; print (posix.strerror(1))'

which returns "Operation not permitted".

Normally this would be a file that cannot be read from, though the only
file your code reads is the LORENE data file for the initial data,
which results in a different error when it cannot be opened, so I am
still stumped.