[Users] cactuscode.org website

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Feb 12 06:37:16 CST 2020

On 11 Feb 2020, at 16:29, Steven R. Brandt <sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu<mailto:sbrandt at cct.lsu.edu>> wrote:

OK, I have this imported from SVN: https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode

Some of you already have commit rights on it. I'm happy to have more.

We apparently have a docker image in https://github.com/stevenrbrandt/et-websites already... and apparently I made it, though I don't remember doing so. Maybe I'm older than I think.

What I need is someone to help with the content.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for importing it!  I was just about to ask...

An alternative to hosting a web server with a docker image is to use Github Pages. The site is essentially static, and shouldn't need us to maintain a web server.  This would remove any dependence on CCT infrastructure apart from the domain name, and remove any associated maintenance.

I've made a proof-of-principle attempt at this.

- Created a gh-pages branch in https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode on which to do my testing
- Wrote a script to convert the PHP files to markdown; could have kept HTML but I prefer markdown as it enforces separation of the content from the presentation and is easier to edit
- Ran the script on the current PHP files
- Converted the site to use jekyll for the headers, footers, includes, etc
- The site is available at https://einsteintoolkit.github.io/cactuscode.org/, but there are lots of assumptions in the files that it is served from "/", whereas here it is served from /cactuscode.org<http://cactuscode.org>.
- To fix this, rather than editing all the URLs in the site, I've instead pointed my own domain to it.

You can see the result at http://cactuscode.ianhinder.net (https will start working in up to 24 hours, apparently).  If we want to go ahead with this method, and if you have access to the cactuscode.org<http://cactuscode.org> domain, maybe you could create a CNAME record pointing

test.cactuscode.org<http://test.cactuscode.org> to einsteintoolkit.github.io<http://einsteintoolkit.github.io>

so we don't have to use my domain?

The automated conversion from PHP to markdown wasn't perfect; we will need to tidy it up a bit.  But the idea now is that you can edit the markdown files, push to the repository, and they will automatically appear on the site.  You can also preview it locally,

jekyll serve

 if you have jekyll installed, or through docker, if you have docker installed:

docker run --rm -p 4000:4000 --volume="$PWD:/srv/jekyll" -it jekyll/jekyll jekyll serve

Visit http://localhost:4000 in either case to see the site.

If this sounds like a good way to go forward, we can start working through the files and fixing up the php to markdown conversion, deleting old content, etc.

Research Software Engineer
University of Manchester, UK