[Users] (no subject)

Zach Etienne zachetie at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 22:14:50 CST 2020

One quick clarification:

When I said
> "[integrated measures of rest mass over a volume] can become completely
unreliable at the time of black hole formation"

I meant that the conservative nature of GRMHD schemes can and do break down
inside black holes, so mass might be lost after it passes inside a black
hole horizon. This should have no ill effect outside the horizon, as "what
happens in the horizon stays in the horizon". Generally you'd want to
perform a surface integral to monitor the rest mass passing into the
horizon and combine it with a volume integral outside the horizon to
measure the total rest mass after black hole formation.

-Zach

Prof. Zachariah Etienne
Physics & Astronomy Dept.
West Virginia University