[Users] issue with Outflow after BHB merger

Bruno Giacomazzo bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
Fri Feb 21 05:06:43 CST 2020

let me add the AHFinderDirect correctly finds an AH after merger (the one
that should be stored in surface 2).

Moreover, Federico also run a sim in which AHFinderDirect was writing on
surfaces 0, 1, and 2 while PunctureTracker was writing on surfaces 3 and 4.
In this case Outflow was giving the same error on all three surfaces 0, 1,
and 2.

My naive impression is that we are missing something and AHFinderDirect is
not saving the surfaces properly and therefore Outflow is not able to read
them.

I had a look at previous par files from my BNS simulations (where Outflow
worked) and the only difference I saw was in the number of points in theta
and phi for the surfaces.

Thanks,
Bruno

Il giorno gio 20 feb 2020 alle ore 18:37 Federico Cattorini <
f.cattorini at campus.unimib.it> ha scritto:

> Dear all,
>
> I am having issues with the thorn Outflow running a BHB simulation with
> WhiskyMHD (parfile attached). Outflow correctly computes the flows on the
> single orbiting BHs during the inspiral, but after the merger it fails to
> compute it on the newly formed BH.
> I get the following warning in the .out:
>
> WARNING level 1 from host r149c18s02.marconi.cineca.it process 0
>   while executing schedule bin CCTK_ANALYSIS, routine Outflow::outflow
>   in thorn Outflow, file
> /marconi/home/userexternal/fcattori/EinsteinToolkit/ET_2018_09/Cactus/arrangements/EinsteinAnalysis/Outflow/src/outflow.c:958:
>   -> didn't find valid detector surface for sn=2, det=2
>
> In my parfile I implement Outflow as
>
> outflow::compute_every        = 64
> outflow::num_detectors        = 3
> outflow::surface_index[0]     = 0
> outflow::surface_index[1]     = 1
> outflow::surface_index[2]     = 2
> outflow::interpolator_name    = "Lagrange polynomial interpolation"
> outflow::interpolator_pars    = "order=4"
>
> AHFinderDirect uses three spherical surfaces (n. 0,1,2). PunctureTracker
> tracks and write its values on n. 0 and 1.
>
> Does anyone know how to address this issue?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Federico

Prof. Bruno Giacomazzo
Department of Physics
University of Milano-Bicocca
Piazza della Scienza 3
20126 Milano
Italy

email: bruno.giacomazzo at unimib.it
phone: (+39) 02 6448 2321
web: http://www.brunogiacomazzo.org

Those who understand binary, and those who don't