[Users] Boundary issues solving wave equations with MoL

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 21 12:01:23 CST 2020

Hello Severin,

sorry for not responding to your email.

About the stable solution: I was wondering if you had a 1d spherically symmetric toy code where you could have tested that your initial data does indeed lead to almost no evolution or if even in a spherical 1d code you would see material accreting or some oscillation on the surface.

Are you evolution equations for the difference to the static background (TOV solution) valid only in the linear regime or also for non-linear deviations?

My worry would be that even when looking at a difference only, you may be hit by the fact that computing eg a pressure gradient of the TOV solution on the Cactus grid and computing a gravitational "force" will not give perfect balance which would (I expect) show up in your difference equation as driving force potentially shifting where the equilibrium is.

From the look of your plot you seem to be experiencing some sort of instability which causes the amplitude of the oscillations to grow more and more, with smaller timesteps helping a bit but not ultimately curing the issue. You could (his is just a guess) try and play with different MoL integration schemes, eg use the RK2 scheme (very dissipative but stable) to see if this would help (I would stay away from ICN and other non RK schemes as I have no idea how recently those were used for any actual simulations).

In principle you should be able to use MoL for this type of thing. The cases where MoL is difficult to use is trying to use it to evolve a grid scalar or any other quantity that is not defined on the mesh refined grid that Carpet sets up. This affects things like eg integrating this shift at the location of the puncture to follow the puncture (puncture tracking) or trying to integrate particle trajectories (which are basically the same as multiple punctures).