[Users] libstdc++ error after compilation

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 28 12:57:13 CST 2020

Hello Swarnim Shashank,

you should not have to download any C++ library.

The fact that your executable cactus_sim is linked against it means
that linker found the library.

Since it is not found at runtime anymore that means that the dynamic
linker search path did not match the search path of the (compile time)
linker. If you used environment modules (module load XXX) which is
typical on a compute cluster, please try loading those same modules
before running.

If you are trying to test run the executable on the login node instead
of from within a job and you used simfactory to build it, you may be
successful using "simfactory/bin/sim execute 'cactus_sim --help'" which
uses simfactory and makes it execute the "envsetup" lines (which
typically contain module load) before running your executable.

If you have not used modules then you likely should add options similar
to this one -Wl,--rpath,<PATH-TO-LIB> for every -L option you used in
your linker flags.

If this does not help, please provide the following:

* your option list as well as the file configs/sim/config-info
* the output of "ldd cactus_sim" (as a text file not a screenshot)
* if you used simfactory your machine's ini file (the command
  simfactory/bin/sim print-mdb-entry $(simfactory/bin/sim whoami | awk
  '{print $3}') prints its content to screen)

Your LDFLAGS were not quite correct since you must give the path to the
directory, not the file ie it would be:

LDFLAGS=-Wl,-rpath=/mnt/home/project/cswarnim/installations

though as stated  at the beginning you should not download any
libstdc++.so and instead point to the (correct, there likely are
multiple) location of libstdc++.so in your system.