[Users] Meeting MInutes 06-11-2020

Ian Hinder ian.hinder at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jun 15 09:39:14 CDT 2020

On 11 Jun 2020, at 16:28, Hamilton, Maria <babiuc at marshall.edu<mailto:babiuc at marshall.edu>> wrote:

  *   Peter starts the meeting with the first item on the agenda: replacement of the cacuscode.org<http://cacuscode.org/> web page, and asked Seven to explain the situation.

Steven explained that that he wants a resolution to this this issue and will keep adding it to the agenda until it is resolved, and the old web page replaced.
Roland mentioned that Ian Hinder worked on a replacement for the web site, and gave the links:
https://test.cactuscode.org/

https://github.com/einsteintoolkit/cactuscode.org/issues
[https://avatars0.githubusercontent.com/u/6198340?s=400&v=4]<https://github.com/einsteintoolkit/cactuscode.org/issues>
EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode.org<https://github.com/einsteintoolkit/cactuscode.org/issues>
Holds the content of the CactusCode website. Contribute to EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode.org<http://cactuscode.org/>development by creating an account on GitHub.
github.com<http://github.com/>
The problem is that there are about 30 or more things that need to be fixed and he asked for volunteers to help pushing things forward.
Steven asked if is absolutely necessary to address each on of them or only the essential ones.

Hi all,

The full list of remaining issues that I identified is here:

https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode.org/issues

but they are split into "bug" and "enhancement".  Loosely speaking, the bugs are issues with the conversion, and the enhancements are things which would make the content better; e.g. to update things which haven't been updated in 10 years.  In order to switch, we only need to fix the bugs.

There are 11 of these:

https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode.org/issues?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Aissue+label%3Abug<https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode.org/issues?q=is:open+is:issue+label:bug>

Note that they do not all need to be implemented; we might just decide that some of them are unimportant.

Atul Kedia was interested in the location of the the new web page, and if all the information from the old web page will be kept.

The new webpage is available to browse at the temporary location:

https://test.cactuscode.org

It is generated automatically when commits are pushed to the master branch of the source repository here:

https://github.com/EinsteinToolkit/cactuscode.org

Steven encouraged Atul to take a look and compare the info, warning that the new web page will not have the same functionalities, not being written in php.

The idea of the new website is to maintain as much of the existing content from cactuscode.org<http://cactuscode.org> as possible. The reason for the move is that the old website is hosted on a webserver that we have to maintain, whereas the new website is hosted on github pages, which means we don't have to maintain a server.  The old website used dynamic PHP scripts on the server for a small amount of functionality, and this is not possible on github pages, where the content is static.  Some of the functionality can probably be replicated with client-side scripting or site-build-time configuration.

Research Software Engineer
University of Manchester, UK