[Users] BBH Example: Compiler issue on SimulationTools/Mathematica

Atul Kedia akedia at nd.edu
Thu May 7 13:09:33 CDT 2020

Dear all,

I am testing the output figures on Binary black hole gallery examples,
specifically the curvature scalars images using SimulationTools.

As suggested in the page with available scripts I am using
'SimulationTools' application on Mathematica. When I try to load
SimulationTools by entering the command '<< SimulationTools`' on nb or
kernel I get the following error messages and would like help in fixing
them:

- - - - - - -
CCompilerDriver`CreateLibrary::nocomp: A C compiler cannot be found on your
system. Please consult the documentation to learn how to set up suitable
compilers.
Compile::nogen: A library could not be generated from the compiled function.
CCompilerDriver`CreateLibrary::nocomp: A C compiler cannot be found on your
system. Please consult the documentation to learn how to set up suitable
compilers.
Compile::nogen: A library could not be generated from the compiled function.
- - - - - - -

I have installed SimulationTools and h5mma and loading h5mma happens just
fine (without any errors).
Specifications: I am using Mathematica 12 on Windows 10 (not WSL).

As suggested in mathematica stack exchange
<https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/79237/step-by-step-instruction-to-install-c-compiler>
installed windows sdk
<https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk/>
(although I did not remove visual c++ as suggested as I wasn't sure if that
would break any other things.)

In the ET meeting today I was suggested to use linux, WSL or a virtualbox
by Roland, Bill and Steve so will be doing one of those, but would prefer a
solution on windows.

Could someone please help me with this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
best regards,
--
Atul Kedia