[Users] Issues to install: failed to configure openmpi

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Tue May 26 13:38:44 CDT 2020

Hello Shanshan,

> Thanks for your quick reply. I’ve attached the log file and also
> noticed this error message right at the failing point in the log file:
>
> :info:configure configure: error: ptrdiff_t type is not available,
> this is required by C99 standard.  Cannot continue
>
> Any ideas about this ‘ptrdiff_t type’?
Not really. I can only guess. This could be a bug in OpenMPI's configure
script. To get ptrdiff_t one usually has to include stddef.h or some
other stdXXX.h header file.

You may also want to check if your environment has any CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS
or similar variables installed (visible in the output of "env").

Note that MacPorts tends to have a complex interaction with any other
package management system (eg HomeBrew, Fink, Anaconda, ...) and if you
have one of those installed then there may be very strange effects.