[Users] init_3_timelevels and nans on past timelevels

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Wed Aug 4 11:04:57 CDT 2021

Yosef

As you know, init_3_timelevels uses a special algorithm developed by
Scott Hawley (see <https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0310042>) to initialise
3 time levels with initial conditions when you only have initial
conditions for a single time. It uses a carefully orchestrated dance
to step forward and backward in time, without having to do time
interpolation (which isn't possible yet since there are no other time
levels to interpolate from). The end result are (supposed to be) 3
time levels full of good initial data that are second order accurate.
To my knowledge, this algorithm is rarely used, and over time, it
might be that a bug has crept in that would leave certain grid points
uninitialized.

As you do, I would have recommended using VisIt to analyze the
resulting initial conditions and look for nans. I don't know how
multiple time levels are mapped to VisIt variables; what you do looks
correct. Another option would be to run the NaNChecker with its option
to output all nan locations that it finds.

-erik