[Users] Users Digest, Vol 136, Issue 2

Roland Haas rhaas at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 3 12:50:09 CDT 2021

Hello all,

> threading - NOTE: I could be wrong with that). Moreover, you should use
> --procs=24 when submitting (from my experience this flag should be
> interpreted as the number of mpi task, that should correspond to the
> physical cores).
Not quite. --procs and its alternative --cores are the number of
(logical) cores (cpus) to use. Technically it is the total number of
software threads that will be started (and then somehow distribute
themselves on processes and threads and nodes, cores, hyperthreads).
See:

https://simfactory.bitbucket.io/simfactory2/userguide/processterminology.html

Simfactory does not let you specify the number of MPI ranks (processes,
MPI knows nothing about hard or software threads).