[Users] Can I simulate this exotic static topological spacetime with the ET?

Erik Schnetter schnetter at cct.lsu.edu
Mon Mar 8 20:16:37 CST 2021

Adam

To solve a problem numerically, one must first have a well-posed
formulation of the problem, and then choose a well-posed
discretization. Both are difficult to obtain from the equations. If
one just implements an equation, some boundary and/or initial
conditions, and then runs a solver, most likely things won't work, and
one won't have the slightest idea what is going wrong. In addition to
the above, you'll need some intuition for length scales, time scales,
curvature scales, etc. Starting with a 4d spacetime is probably
hopeless.

Is there a way to simplify the problem to fewer dimensions? To simpler
equations? Maybe to simpler physics even, solving a strawman problem?

For example, when learning how to solve the Einstein equations (which
are nonlinear tensorial wave equations), we started with solving the
linear scalar wave equation in one dimension. If there is no
one-dimensional case, then maybe assuming axisymmetry or stationarity
will help, or maybe one can study a linearization of the equations
about some background, etc.

Even when simulating binary black holes (which is, by now, a well
understood problem, since we have been simulating them for 15 years),
it is difficult to get started from scratch. Most people start by
taking an existing simulation and making small variations (masses,
spins, initial velocities, etc.), or they take a known physical
scenario and change numerical parameters (resolution, boundaries,
numerical methods). The "original" black hole simulations were quite
difficult to obtain and were based on years of experience, including
experience from axisymmetric black hole simulations from many years
earlier.

Since you are interested in studying a completely new set of
equations, I suggest to consider first a much simplified problem. I
wish that tools such as the Einstein Toolkit were black box solvers
(similar to Mathematica's "Integrate" function), but in truth we're
far away from that...

-erik