[Users] Meeting Minutes 2021-05-06

Gabella, William E b.gabella at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu May 6 10:23:01 CDT 2021

Present: Bill G, Steve B, Peter D, Roland H, Ken S, Atul K, Zach E,
Miguel G,
Leonardo W, Maria H

Chair: Steve B,  Minutes: Bill G

* Workshop update
Online hosted by UIUC on July 26th to 30th, 2021.
https://einsteintoolkit.github.io/et2021uiuc/
Roland, have to announce for registration, have everything ready to run
it.  First meeting
of Scientific Organizing Committee to hash out the program, contacting
potential speakers.
Email(s) forthcoming.

* Release Planning
[https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Release_Details Release Details]

** Gallery examples:

***
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2172/test-binary-black-hole-gw150914-example
BBH] [SB]
Steve B, Presync, with error mode turned on it does not work. Cannot
synchronize past
time levels.

***
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2175/test-single-stable-neutron-star-example
TOV] [PD]
Peter D, TOV was fine.  Turning on Presync checking and it failed, looks
like Machlachlan
has incorrect read declarations.  Checked git Log for Kranc and found
where the read
statements were put in.  Roland commented them out by hand---Roland, we
try not to do
that.  Now they are there and uncommented.  Added a ticket
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2526/mclachlan-has-incorrect-read-declarations
#2526],
assigned to Roland.  After commenting them out by hand it does work with
Presync.

***
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2174/test-multi-patch-scalar-wave-equation
Multipatch] [BG]
Bill G, Multipatch seems to work with both original par file and with
Presync.  Need to get
the Visit session plotting.

***
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2176/test-binary-neutron-star-example
BNS] [AK]
Atul K, BNS merger and ran it, listed as 8 cores 24 hours, and used 2
cores took 3 days.
Seems fine.  Visit looks okay.  Presync did not work, will put it on
BitBucket issue.

***
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2173/test-poisson-equation-example
Poisson equation] [MG]
Miguel G, Poisson looks like it is running with and without PreSync, and
same results as
previous release.

Steve B, We should keep track more formally of the runtime and machines
for gallery
examples.  Zach E, in the running of our testsuite we do keep track of
times, or should,
and that should catch changes in the code.  Maybe YouTube videos for
tutorials on the
Gallery examples...Steve, maybe from recordings at workshops or schools.

** POWER
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues/2413/include-power-code-to-extrapolate
status]

1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123

Zach E, POWER is our killer feature.  Maria tried to use POWER and there
were some hiccups.
User interface could be better.  Roland, there needs to be documentation
but some
difficulties are design decisions.  Gabriele and Maria were using it as
a command line tool,
and it has limited flexibility.  Use it as a Python module, and designed
for this.  IPython and
write scripts.  It is a single file.  CLI assumes you have data laid out
as in Einstein Toolkit.
Roland, will not try for any auto-detect of the data layout.  No tests
for it yet.  Zach, Prioritize
documentation and later features.  Roland, this method will likely be
incorporated into
Kuibit or other tools being developed.

** Atul K, Ran test suite on their cluster about 90 say
"unrunnable"---not failed.  Roland,
some might not be included or compiled thorns, maybe GPU thorns, etc.
Do not expect
all the tests to run.

** Zach, have to prepare the release announcement.  How to list all the
maintainers?  On
the DOI have all the people that contributed to Toolkit and Cactus.  New
code listed, for
commits that are done.  Release Details page should list that. New
features, and fixed
bugs, list as major change.

** Name for release, we are using a male scientist this time. Look at
the list.  Think about
it over this next week.  List is in Release Details
https://docs.einsteintoolkit.org/et-docs/Release_Details#Tools.2FLinks .

**
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?kind=bug&priority=major&priority=blocker&priority=critical&status=new&status=open
bugs of severity major or worse]

**
[https://bitbucket.org/einsteintoolkit/tickets/issues?milestone=ET_2021_05&status=open&status=new
open tickets] flagged for the next release

Steve B, Unanswered Questions on the mailing list seem handled.

Tickets for review.

Re-run galleries after the Feature Freeze, 14 May 2021.

Zach, Update Docker images?  Steve usually uses those for testing
various Linux flavors.
Tutorials may be running in Docker but they actually download the Toolkit.

13 May, Chair Maria B, Minutes Roland H
20 May, Chair Peter D, Minutes Maria B

[https://www.einsteintoolkit.org/tools/unanswered.php unanswered
question on mailing list]